6 Month Visit Preview
Preparing for the 6 Month Visit
Growth and Nutrition
- We’ll measure and discuss your baby’s weight, length, and head circumference.
- We plot those numbers on the growth chart to give you a visual of how he’s changing from visit to visit.
- Your provider cares about percentiles, and how they compare to previous visits. We’re looking for consistency. The actual numbers for weight, length, and head circumference are less important.
- We’ll talk about starting water from a sippy cup as well! These topics are discussed in the 6 months to 9 months guide.
Starting Solid Foods
- Most babies become ready to start solid foods around 6 months of life.
- Your provider will probably encourage you to do so if you haven’t started yet. Please make sure you’ve read and understand our guide to starting solid foods, and write down any questions you have.
- Your provider will watch and interact with your baby on her back and in tummy time.
- We’ll also check to see if she’s showing any interest in sitting up on her own.
- She might even be bearing some weight when we stand her up on the table!
- Everyone develops differently and at their own pace. That being said, if there’s anything you’re worried about, please bring it to our attention. See something, say something!
- We'll also discuss the importance of childproofing your home at 6 months of life, so please read our childproofing guide and write down questions if you have them.
- Our examination includes a lot in a short amount of time. Please ask questions if you have them! All questions are good questions, and we want you to be involved in your baby’s care.
- Several vaccines are given at the 6 month visit. There will be 4 injections, and 1 liquid vaccine your baby will drink.
- Hep B #3
- DTaP, Hib, Polio #3
- Pneumococcal #3
- Rotavirus #3 (oral)
- Flu #1 (flu season only)
- During flu season (August - May)
- Infants and toddlers need two flu shots during their first flu season.
- If this is her first flu shot, we’ll give the second shot in about 1 month.
- Please read our guides to common vaccine reactions and dosing for acetaminophen and ibuprofen you can use if these reactions occur.
No results found