2 Week Visit Preview
Preparing for the 2 Week Visit
Growth and Nutrition
- We'll measure and discuss your baby's weight, length, and head circumference
- The goal is for baby to be back to birthweight, or very close.
- If baby has regained birth weight, the new rule is “never wake a sleeping baby.” This will be the rule for day and night sleep.
- From birth to 2 weeks, babies only wake up to eat. Starting at 2 weeks, it's important that you understand how to help your baby develop. This information is covered in our birth to 2 weeks guide.
- Your provider will also demonstrate how to do tummy time with your baby.
- Our examination includes a lot in a short amount of time. Please ask questions if you have them! All questions are good questions, and we want you to be involved in your baby's care.
- If your baby received her first hepatitis B vaccine in the hospital or at the newborn visit, there are no vaccines for today's visit.
- If we made a plan to wait until the 2 week visit, we'll provide that today.
- Please read our guide to common vaccine reactions if the first hep b vaccine was not given previously.
Newborn Screen Blood Test
- We will obtain the newborn screen test by collecting blood from your baby's heel.
- This is the same test that was done in the hospital, but we draw a second one at the 2 week visit in the state of Texas.
- In terms of results, no news is good news.
- If the test result is abnormal, we hear back in a few days.
- If the test results is normal, we don't usually hear back for a month or so.
- Additional details are available on the Texas Health and Human Services FAQ page.
No results found