Circumcision and Circumcision Care
- In 2012, the American Academy of Pediatrics updated their policy statement on circumcision to reflect the following:
- There are risks and benefits to circumcision and to not circumcising your baby.
- In the developed world, these risks and benefits for both options are low.
- As a result, this decision should be left to the caregivers, "in the context of their own religious, ethical, and cultural beliefs and practices."
- If the decision is made to circumcise, this is usually performed in the delivery hospital before you take your baby home.
- Circumcision Care
- The circumcision should be completely healed within 10 days of the procedure.
- Until that time, petroleum jelly should be applied to fresh gauze pads, and used to cover the penis after each diaper change.