Umbilical Stump Care
- The umbilical cord is cut shortly after delivery, and a small amount of the cord remains attached to the baby. This is called the umbilical stump.
- The stump gradually dries out and begins to look like a scab attached to the belly button.
- The stump falls off on it's own, usually between 7-14 days of life.
- Your baby can't feel the stump because there are no nerve endings in this area.
- Do not wash, clean, or treat the umbilical stump in any way.
- The cord will likely bleed for a day or two before and after it falls off.
- You will likely find blood on the diaper or the clothing overlying the stump.
- This can be ignored.
- The cord may develop an odor before it falls off.
- This can also be ignored.