Magic Mouthwash for Oral Ulcers
What is Magic Mouthwash?
- This is a homemade mixture of an antacid and antihistamine that helps coat the throat, reduce swelling and ease throat pain.
- Ingredients are:
- Liquid Maalox (generic: magnesium hydroxide/aluminum hydroxide)
- Liquid Benadryl (generic: diphenhydramine HCl)
How Do You Make It?
- Mix 1 oz of each medication together (1:1 concentration)
- Once mixed, use the chart below to determine how much to give your child
| Child's Weight
| Amount of Solution
| 18-20 lbs
|| 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon)
| 21-25 lbs
|| 3.75 ml (3/4 teaspoon)
| 26-37 lbs
|| 5 ml (1 teaspoon)
| 38-45 lbs
|| 6.25 ml (1 1/4 teaspoons)
| > 45 lbs
|| 7.5 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons)
How Do You Give It?
- Give the weight appropriate dosage (as indicated above) every 3 hours as needed for pain.
- For younger children, you can apply this using a syringe or cotton swab. It is ok for them to swallow it to coat the back of the throat. Older children can swish, gargle, and swallow.
- Try to avoid having them eat or drink anything else for 20 minutes after the treatment.
- For children >3 years, a children's chloraseptic spray may also be used for pain about 10 minutes before eating meals.
No results found